10m Circles at the Trot.
We will start with Lateral stretching at the working trot rising, so, from the walk on the left rein in the purple cone corner by K, ask for the working trot rising and ride a 10m circle left.
As in the walk, pick up the reins lightly, just enough to feel a connection, let your reins be as long as you dare, but do not dare to lose the connection. So you should have a slight feel of the bit and it is not important if the horse has his nose out, he will come to the bit soon enough. As you ride through this pattern your horse should start to offer you some loose rein, gently pick it up as you go.
Once your 10m circle feels good, change rein into the blue cone corner by F. Since early in our warm up we should always take several strides of straight before changing bend I like to ride up the centerline just past the quarter school (and my orange cones) change diagonal and then do a half 10m circle back to the track.
Once this 10m circle feels good I then proceed to the shallow loops up the centerline.
Read More Pages in this Dressage Training Article.
- Warming Up at the Trot, Shallow Loops on the Center Line
- Warming Up at the Trot, Shallow Loops down the Long Side
- Warming Up at the Trot, Ride 4 Shallow Loops Up the Center Line
- Warming Up at the Trot, Ride 2 Shallow Loops down the Long Side
- Warming Up at the Trot, Leg Yield Right to Half Pass Right
- Warming Up at the Trot, Leg Yield Left to Half Pass Left
- Warming Up at the Trot, Leg Yield In, Half Pass Back